David Tonoyan and Andrzej Kasprzyk discuss situation on line of contact
20.11.2019,
18:08
Armenia's Minister of Defense David Tonoyan met today with the Personal Representative of the OSCE Chairman-in-Office Andrzej Kasprzyk to discuss the process of Nagorno-Karabakh conflict settlement, the situation on the contact line between the armed forces of Azerbaijan and Nagorno-Karabakh and on also on the Armenian-Azerbaijani state border.
YEREVAN, November 20. /ARKA/. Armenia's Minister of Defense David Tonoyan met today with the Personal Representative of the OSCE Chairman-in-Office Andrzej Kasprzyk to discuss the process of Nagorno-Karabakh conflict settlement, the situation on the contact line between the armed forces of Azerbaijan and Nagorno-Karabakh and on also on the Armenian-Azerbaijani state border.
The press service of the ministry said the two men also spoke about humanitarian actions in the process of resolving the confrontation, and stressed the need to combine the efforts of the OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs and the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC).
Tonoyan and Kasprzyk once again noted the importance of introducing confidence-building mechanisms on the contact line and the Armenian-Azerbaijani state border.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict erupted into armed clashes after the collapse of the Soviet Union in the early 1990s as the predominantly Armenian-populated enclave of Azerbaijan sought to secede from Azerbaijan and declared its independence backed by a successful referendum.
On May 12, 1994, the Bishkek cease-fire agreement put an end to the military operations. A truce was brokered by Russia in 1994, although no permanent peace agreement has been signed. Since then, Nagorno-Karabakh and several adjacent regions have been under the control of Armenian forces of Karabakh. Nagorno-Karabakh is the longest-running post-Soviet era conflict and has continued to simmer despite the relative peace of the past two decades, with snipers causing tens of deaths a year.
On April 2, 2016, Azerbaijan launched military assaults along the entire perimeter of its contact line with Nagorno-Karabakh. Four days later a cease-fire was reached. -0---
The press service of the ministry said the two men also spoke about humanitarian actions in the process of resolving the confrontation, and stressed the need to combine the efforts of the OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs and the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC).
Tonoyan and Kasprzyk once again noted the importance of introducing confidence-building mechanisms on the contact line and the Armenian-Azerbaijani state border.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict erupted into armed clashes after the collapse of the Soviet Union in the early 1990s as the predominantly Armenian-populated enclave of Azerbaijan sought to secede from Azerbaijan and declared its independence backed by a successful referendum.
On May 12, 1994, the Bishkek cease-fire agreement put an end to the military operations. A truce was brokered by Russia in 1994, although no permanent peace agreement has been signed. Since then, Nagorno-Karabakh and several adjacent regions have been under the control of Armenian forces of Karabakh. Nagorno-Karabakh is the longest-running post-Soviet era conflict and has continued to simmer despite the relative peace of the past two decades, with snipers causing tens of deaths a year.
On April 2, 2016, Azerbaijan launched military assaults along the entire perimeter of its contact line with Nagorno-Karabakh. Four days later a cease-fire was reached. -0---